Saturday, July 18, 2015

7 Types of Jeepney Passengers You Don't Want to Ride With

I've been riding a jeepney all my life. Most people do. I prefer it over a bus if the distance is just within the Metro (I can reconsider if the bus is air conditioned). Yes, it's not the best form of transportation there is but it's the most accessible and most reliable nevertheless. If MRT or LRT won't be available on most major thoroughfares anytime soon, I guess mamang driver and I will be having more quality times together.

Typical jeepneys, the most popular mode of public transportation
in the the Philippines
(Photo courtesy of Wikipedia)

In a generation infiltrated by umpteenth snatchers and hold-uppers, most people do twice of thinking if riding it is the best option offhand. Being it filthy and open (and therefore a pollution magnet), people have a lot of reasons to reckon just to say no to waving drivers and barkers.

I think those who choose to stick with expensive taxi and bus can justify their decision for safety’s sake (are taxis still safe anyway?) and have the right against monikers of being morbidly fussy and finicky. Matters of safety are prioritized by everyone after all.

I, too, sometimes despise riding it. But please don't get me wrong. It's not the jeepney nor the careless mamang driver per se that I don't like about riding it. Most encounters of my exasperation come from fellow passengers who seem to habitually neglect the rules of etiquette, although some are really friendly and can make me smile in appreciation of their disposition. Some are terribly detestable though (ok, I exaggerated there).

I am not a perfect passenger either. I have my own kabwisitans (naughty deeds) and tantrums, but I am proud that I don't do things that are unacceptable to me in anyway.
And so, aside from the abhorring criminals prevalent on our streets, here is a list of passenger types you don't like to hit the road with, and the best things to do once you encounter them:

1. The Make-Up Artist Wannabe

The Scenario:
En route to work, a girl in front of me took out her make-up kit and applied one by one, starting from the face powder to the eyeliner, the mascara to the lipstick and then to the lip gloss. Hairbrush came after. Voila! Instant make-over.

The Litany:
First, a dressing room is no way similar to a jeepney interior.

Second, unless you are a movie star and we, inside the jeepney, are your staff, doing a total major overhaul to your face is a taboo. The mere brushing of hair while in public is already like brushing your teeth with audience, or so what my journalism professor would always say.

Third, the reason why powder rooms or comfort rooms (or whatever you want to call them) are made is for some personal moments meant to be hidden from the public. From the word "powder", activities included are given.

Fourth, it's annoying when someone in front of you (especially if she's dusting her compact on you) pretends to be Shu Uemura and just feel free with the brushes. Yes, it's none of my business. They have the right to do that. The law supports them. Yet I hope the word "decorum" hasn't lost its sense.

The Payback Time:
A. Stare at her (or him? testify, anyone?) and tell her with a lopsided smile, "Isunod mo ako ha" (Do me next).
B. If she didn't get the message, just pretend she's not around. Papansin lang yun (She’s just desperate for attention).

2. The Feel-At-Home Buddy

The Scenario:
In my exhaustion from school, I wanted to sneak a much needed nap while on the road. One time, I was about to snooze when a silly sounding conversation rang in my ears. Silly because it was in some kanto (street) type of words other than the gay lingo I more often hear (I would have found that entertaining). What's more was that the garrulous girls were tattering like they occupy the jeepney all by themselves. It’s like they’re trying to pull their tonsils out. Or probably they thought they were just having a chat at the comfort of their home.

Uh, I've seen worse. A group of friends, all tipsy, had been shouting inside the jeepney, with my ears as a megaphone. They probably forgot they left their hang-out and were already with civilized people.

Worst: My high school batchmate's mom told the driver she would be talking with someone on the checkpoint very quickly. Should five minutes count as quick? The horn had been scandalous and all the stupid lady could do was to gesture hands as to wait. By the way, that happened during rush hour. No apology from her afterwards. Wasn’t that annoying enough?

The Litany:
The nerve! How come God gifted some people with so much arrogance and impudence? People like them don't have the right to be in public utility vehicles. Since they feel that they are very much at home, just talking with random friends who are fascinated with their conduct, why not stay at their homes all the time?

My own misdemeanor might decry me for this if I'm carelessly regaling with people I don't personally know. A good thing I choose the right time and place.

The Payback Time:
A. Everything can be fixed in a civilized way of reprimand. Kindly tell them how distracting they are without sounding too sarcastic.
B. If you feel ignored, then might as well join them. Get worse. Get louder. Be more intrepid. Just compete with them. (If you can't beat them, join them).

3. Mr./Ms. Congeniality

The Scenario:
During college, there was this guy from the other town who started talking with me about his errand for the day. As manners forced me, I went on with the conversation but without a tinge of interest. My mistake...that hinted him to carry on. He veered from a casual talk to his bio data, then to the dreading question of "How about you?” Wait, are we even close?

Another time, a not-so-old lady asked mo for a certain street she's bound to. I’d like to think that I’ve been a good boy so I  obliged. I even volunteered to tell the driver to drop her at the right place. Never did I expect that this lovely looking not-so-old lady would eventually ask me for spare money for her fare. It's definitely a furtive way to ask for alms.

The Litany:
Being polite is a de rigueur when you're in public. Yes, some of people may be surprised, but that's how it is suppose to be. The downside of it: some people may take advantage and pry deeper to your personal info.

In the case of the not-so-old lady, she wasn't that nosy, but with an equally bare-callous face to ask for her fare. Maybe she's just in dire need. But for jeez sake, how could she take advantage of my eagerness to help if all she needed was some spare coins. She should have said it beforehand.

There are times when I look forward to a peaceful travel, especially after a nose-bleeding, skull-breaking exam. If I'm not in the mood to join a coveted repartee, then don't try. This kind of passenger tends to break in your privacy of solitude, so be wary.

The Payback Time:
A. I'll be democratic: Would you rather go on with the discourse out of nicety? Would you cut him/her shortly by saying "Nice having words with you" then look to the other direction? Or would you just look to the opposite side when he/she pauses to send the message? I prefer the latter. It’s much diplomatic and natural.
B. Just nod and nod and nod. Say yes and yes and yes. Don't mind whatever the person is saying. He/she should notice that you’re not listening.

4.  The Shampoo Commercial Model Wannabe

The Scenario:
I was comfortably seating, waiting for my turn to say "Manong para to the side" when suddenly the girl before me (imagine a guy enacting this) let loose her long, sheer feeling-good looking locks in the air, pricking my face with the ends. It was not only annoying, but also painful as well. It’s like having your face whipped.

The Litany:
I didn’t understand the problem with this person. Was she making an MTV or was she into shooting of the latest Palmolive shampoo commercial? Or was she just giving her lice time to refresh, hoping to transfer them on my head? How could she be so insensitive? If she’s trying to impress me with that very dry hair, she’s far from succeeding. I was never a talent scout or a hairstylist, so stop showing me your hair.


The Payback Time:
A. Try asking her to please clip her hair, and if a clip is not available, tell her to just hold them in place.
B. If she ignores your friendly request and still makes her hair fly on your face deliberately, then it’s time for plan B. If you have a scissor or any sharp tinker to use, you know what to do. You can also use your bare hands. Pull her most precious locks like you are being paid to do so.

5. The Spoiled Brat

The Scenario:
There were only two of us in a long jeepney. Both were at the same side of the seat beside the entrance. Yes, we were at the far end of the driver. Suddenly the feeling pampered lady beside me handed her fare, not minding the fact that neither of us were near the driver. It seemed that the lady forgot that I wasn't her nanny.

The Litany:
Okay, so she was a lady and I was supposed to play gentleman. But heck, she should have sat near the driver upon seeing the near empty vehicle in the first place (I rode first). Given the situation, don't ever expect someone to stretch out and move from one end to another just to hand over your fare. It's better for you to exert some effort rather than to disturb someone else to do the job.

Okay, the passing of fare is a part of jeepney culture. Without it, the experience wouldn't be complete. But jeez, the culture I am talking about is different from the way some people are acting too important.

Okay, so the issue is so unworthy. It's so juvenile. So simple. But that's just it. Simple things can be easily done. Don’t ask someone else to do if for you.

Sometimes, our “Star of the Day” feels like sitting on the far end of the vehicle then will just forcefully push his/her butt for you to give way if you’re the one sitting there. It doesn’t matter if there’s a vacant space deeper inside the jeepney. Our “starlet” will sit wherever he/she wants to.

The Payback Time:
A. Don’t mind the attention whore. Sometimes, some people really have to be embarrassed first before they can think straight. Don’t let this person boss you around.
B. If she/he grows persistent, being blunt proves necessary. Say something like “Excuse me, do I look like your nanny?”

6. The Chance Taker

The Scenario:
My friend and I, together with a dozen more people, were racing for stopping jeepneys when this "psychomaniac" took advantage of the bustling crowd and shovelled his way through the door, with hands wide open of course, forcing all the ladies to step aside, or else, they might be clandestinely harassed. Unless he looked like a Hollywood superstar, the passengers might not like being touched by someone on any part of their body. 

The Litany:
Admit it, once or twice, you have been a victim of this type of passenger who have a flair for taking advantage of a busy crowd. Some look fairly decent enough. Either way you look at it, sexual harassment is sexual harassment in any sense. That is illegal and everybody has the right against it. Know your rights.

The Payback Time:
A. Slapping him (or her? oh please, testify, anyone?) is the most triumphant way of vengeance, only it is scandalous. But who cares, he will be the one in the hot seat anyway.
B. So you don't feel like being scandalous? Just go on with the game. Touch him too in body parts he has been touching you. It's a lot more fun, trust me.

7. The Drunkard

The Scenario:
I was half way home when suddenly a ruffian-looking drunk man came out of nowhere, rode the jeepney and sat beside me. Couldn't I be more unlucky? Aside from the fact that I wasn't safe given my situation and his temporary insanity, he also smelled like hell. I could swear his stench reminded me of a fresh spew I once stepped over on one of my bad days.

He kept on talking to me on a gibberish language I have never encountered in my whole life. Did I have a choice? None. Just agree and agree or he might stab me. I still have dreams, you know?

The Litany:
Imagine a big, yellow-green vomit sitting beside you. Not to mention that the vomit talks excessively. How would you feel? Or rather, how would you smell?

Mamang driver earns half the blame here. Why do drivers need to pick up waving drunken passengers anyway? They aren't even sure the drunkard will pay. This is a safety matter drivers should always consider. Please, do not pick apparently looking drunken people. I'll pay you another minimum fee, just don't make him sit beside me.

The Payback Time:
A. Since it is impossible to pacify or make a drunken man go down from the ride, just push him outside, with all force to be sure he won't hook his hands onto the hind, then shout "Oh my goodness, the guy fell!" Make sure he's not expecting your attack. That should be easy, he's inebriated remember?
B. If you are deadly anxious on whether he's planning to stab you at the side, and you're starting to freak out for your life, then better get off the ride and just choose another one. That's safer.

#jeepney
#jeepney passengers
#jeepney passengers you don't want to ride with

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...